How To Efficiently Run Air Conditioning At Home
We rely on our air conditioners to keep as cool and comfortable throughout summer, but they aren’t always cheap to run. In fact, heating and cooling are two of the biggest energy costs for Australian households.
The good news is that there are many ways to more efficiently run air conditioning. Many of these are simple things you can do at home. Not only will it help you save on electricity costs, reducing your energy consumption is also better for the environment.
How to Efficiently Run Air Conditioning
- Set the temperature higher. Turn your thermostat up a few degrees and your air conditioner won’t have to work as hard. You’ll hardly feel the temperature change, but the energy savings can be significant.
- Consider moving your thermostat. If your thermostat lives on a wall that gets hot easily or is exposed to the midday sun, it might cause your air con to consume more energy. Consider moving the location of your thermostat to better reflect the atmospheric temperatures.
- Create climate zones. Instead of trying to heat or cool the entire home, just focus on the rooms that are being used. Many ducted air conditioning systems allow you to control which rooms are heated or cooled. Shutting doors between rooms can also help.
- Insulate your home. Insulation is designed to keep your home cooler in summer and warmer in winter by slowing down heat transfer. Air conditioners take less energy to keep a well-insulated home at a comfortable temperature.
- Clean the air con filters. The filters inside an air conditioning unit are responsible for purifying and dehumidifying the air that is blown into your room. Over time dirt and grime can build up in the filters and cause your air con to run less efficiently. Check out the manufacturer’s guidelines on how often to clean or replace your filters.
Is Your System Not Running Efficiently
If you have noticed that your air conditioner is not running as efficiently as it used to, not putting out cool air, or failing to keep your room cool, it might be time to get it checked out by a professional.
A faulty air conditioner can consume a lot of electricity and leave you with an expensive power bill. It’s important to get air con issues checked out as soon as possible to avoid costly and uncomfortable breakdowns later on.
If it’s been a while since your air conditioner has been serviced, it might be worth booking an air-con checkup. Just as you would take your car in for a regular service, it’s important to keep your air conditioner in good working condition.
Most Energy Efficient Types of Air Conditioner
If you are in the market for a new air conditioner, it’s worth considering the overall lifetime cost of the system, not just the initial cost to purchase. A more energy-efficient system will cost you less to run and maybe a more worthwhile investment in the long run.
- Evaporative Ducted Air Conditioning. Evaporative air con uses that natural phenomenon of evaporation to deliver cool air to your home like a refreshing sea breeze. They are a very efficient system as electricity is only required to power the fan and motor.
- Refrigerative Ducted Air Conditioning. Modern ducted Refrigerated air conditioning allows you to create climate zones throughout your home for more efficient heating and cooling. This means you can turn the air con on for just the rooms which are being used.
- Split Air Conditioning. Split system Air Conditioning are designed to heat or cool just one room and can be fairly efficient if you have chosen the right size system for your room. Look for units with a high energy efficiency rating.
- What is Reverse Cycle Air Conditioning? Air conditioners with both heating and cooling functions are called “reverse cycle” systems. High-quality reverse cycle systems can be very efficient at heating as well as reducing your cooling costs.
Looking for air conditioning in Baldivis, Mandurah and surrounds? Whether you’re looking to buy a new system or have your current system serviced, iBreeze can help. Get in touch with our friendly team today to see what we can do for you.
For energy efficient, effective heating and cooling solutions all year round, reach out to our team of specialists. We’ll deliver the highest comfort to both your residential and commercial space, no matter the size or scale.
Monday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Tuesday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Wednesday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Thursday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm